Moscow launches wave of ‘missile strikes’ following Ukraine attack on Crimea

[

Russia appeared to retaliate following reported missile strikes in annexed Crimea overnight by launching a series of drone and missile attacks of its own targeted on the Ukrainian cities of Kyiv and Lviv on Sunday morning.

Two Russian landing ships and several infrastructure facilities were reportedly hit during a series of missile strikes in Russian-occupied Crimea on Saturday night. Local reports also claimed that multiple aircraft were damaged and dozens of soldiers were killed at a key Russian airbase, although this has not been verified by western sources.

Ukrainian armed forces claimed to have struck the Russian landing ships “Yamal” and “Azov” during a night attack around the Russian-occupied port city of Sevastopol, which Kremlin-appointed local governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said was the largest attack in recent memory.

It follows a terror attack at a concert hall in Moscow on Friday that left at least 143 dead and hundreds more injured, with Russia set to observe a day of mourning on Sunday.

Here’s what we know about the strikes across Ukraine and Crimea this weekend, as well as the latest on the Moscow terror attack.

Kyiv targeted by missile and drone strikes

Russian missile and drone strikes were reported in the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, and western region of Lviv on Sunday morning, with one of the cruise missiles having entered the airspace of neighbouring Nato member Poland “near the town of Oserdow and stayed there for 39 seconds”, the nation’s armed forces said in a statement.

Ukrainian officials said that some 57 Russian missiles and drones were launched at various targets in Kyiv and Lviv.

Although explosions were reported in Kyiv, officials said that damage in the capital had been minimal, with 18 of the 29 missiles and 25 of the 28 attack drones shot down, according to Ukraine’s air force.

The attack reportedly began at 5am local time (3am UK time) on Sunday, with Kyiv residents forced to shelter in metro stations.

Lviv’s mayor, Andriy Sadovyi, said on Telegram that no attacks landed in the western city itself but that some 20 missiles and seven attack drones had been targeted at “critical infrastructure” in the broader Lviv region.

Mr Sadovyi said: “It is known about shelling in the Lviv region. The regional authorities will report on the consequences.”

In a post on X early on Sunday, the United States’ ambassador to Ukraine, Bridget Brink, said: “For the third pre-dawn morning this week, all of Ukraine is under an air alert and has been advised to seek shelter.

“Russia continues to indiscriminately launch drones and missiles with no regard for millions of civilians, violating international law.”

What we know about the missile strikes in Sevastopol

As well as striking the two Russian ships, Olexander Scherba, ambassador-at-large for Ukraine’s ministry of foreign affairs, said on X that the attack on Saturday night also successfully targeted a major Russian Black Sea Fleet military communication centre.

Appearing to confirm the reports, the Ukrainian General Staff said in a statement on Sunday morning: “The Ukrainian armed forces successfully struck the (Ropucha class) amphibious landing ships Yamal and Azov, (a) communications centre, and a number of Black Sea Fleet’s objects of infrastructure in temporarily occupied Sevastopol.”

The communications hub was reportedly hit by at least three Ukrainian Storm Shadow cruise missiles, with alleged footage of the strike having emerged online.

Local reports have also claimed that the series of strikes across Sevastopol targeted the Belbek airfield, which houses Mr Putin’s fighter jet fleet, leaving three Russian Su-27 aircraft damaged, 34 soldiers (11 of them officers) dead and another 40 wounded.

Ukrainian forces have yet to confirm the airfield attack.

Mr Razvozhayev, the Russian-installed governor of Sevastopol, said in a statement on Telegram that the military had “repelled” the attack on Sevastopol that was “the most massive in recent times” by shooting down 10 Ukrainian missiles.

He claimed that a 65-year-old Sevastopol resident died when a missile fragment struck the end of a house on Yaltinskaya Street and that a total of four people were injured by shrapnel.

The statement from late Saturday evening continued: “At the moment, there is also information that a rocket hit a private house in the area of the Simferopol highway and did not explode.

“The shock wave shattered windows in residential buildings in the city center. No one was injured.”

Mr Razvozhayev added that various transport infrastructure, including passenger boats, were partially damaged.

“Of the six boats, five had their windows broken … during the day, the windows of the damaged boats will be replaced and as they are restored they will be brought back online,” he said, adding that three passenger buses, 13 school buses and one trolley bus were among the damaged vehicles during the overnight attacks.

Moscow terror attack latest

Jeremy Hunt has said the UK has to be “on our guard” and “vigilant” following the terror attack in Moscow on Friday that left over 130 dead and more than one hundred others injured.

Speaking to Sky‘s Sunday Morning with Trevor Phillips, the Chancellor said Britain’s intelligence service was the “very best in the world” when asked about any possible terror attack on home soil.

Local media in Russia reported that eleven people, including four suspected gunmen, have been detained by Russian security services following the attack at the Crocus City Hall music venue on Friday evening.

Vladimir Putin has claimed the assailants were aided by Ukraine, but Kyiv has rejected any links to the incident and the US has reportedly verified the Islamic state’s claiming of responsibility for the attack.

Hours after the attack on Friday, terror group Islamic State claimed responsibility via its Telegram channel. On Saturday evening, it released on its Telegram channel what it said was footage of the attack on the concert hall near Moscow.

Mr Putin claimed the attackers “tried to hide and moved towards Ukraine, where, previously, a window had been prepared for them to cross the border,” but those allegations have been dismissed by multiple UK Government sources, including Mr Hunt who said: “We have very little confidence in anything the Russian government says.”

The Russian president vowed to hunt down all those responsible, while the US condemned the attack as a “heinous crime.”

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Genx Newz is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment