Which months did you not pay council tax? Why there is a break in payments


Many people will receive no council tax bill at all for two months in 2024, due to the way the payments are structured.

Most people over the age of 18 have to pay council tax, but there are also exemptions for certain groups.

Here is everything you need to know about council tax payments, and who can get money off.

What months do I not pay council tax?

Council tax is typically paid over 10 months, with no payments in February and March.

However, most councils give people the option to spread their payments over 12 months if they wish – so this depends on which kind of payment plan you have set up with your council

You’ll need to check your direct debit plan, and your bill, to find out whether you’re entitled to a two-month Council Tax break, or you can contact your local authority to discuss it.

Who can get a council tax reduction?

A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Some people are disregarded when working out how many people live in a property to calculate the bill, meaning these households can apply for a reduction.

You are disregarded from council tax if you are:

  • under 18 years old
  • on certain apprentice schemes
  • 18 or 19 years old and in full-time education
  • a full-time student at college or university
  • under 25 years old and get funding from the Education and Skills Funding Agency
  • a student nurse
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the British Council
  • severely mentally impaired
  • a live-in carer for someone who is not your partner, spouse, or child under 18
  • a diplomat

You need to apply for a council tax discount or an exemption even if you’re disregarded. You can do this online here.

You will get 50 per cent off your bill if everyone living in your household is disregarded, and 25 per cent off if you either you live on your own, or everyone else in your home is disregarded.

Households where everyone is a full-time student do not have to pay council tax, but should still apply for an exemption.

You may also be eligible for a council tax discount or exemption if you, or someone you live with, is disabled.

The disabled band reduction scheme exists for people who live in a larger property than they would need if they or another occupant were not disabled. If you qualify, your bill will be reduced to the next lowest council tax band.

You will have to show that you have either:

  • an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person
  • extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

Find out more about disability exemptions here.

Which council tax band am I in?

If you live in England or Wales you can find out your council tax band by entering your postcode into the Government website here.

You can also use this service to challenge your council tax band if you think it is wrong.

Those who live in Scotland will need to use the Scottish Assessors website.

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Genx Newz is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment